HISTORY OF THE CLUB
The Club was originally formed as the Pokesdown Branch of the National Association of Discharged Soldiers and Sailors (N.A.D.S & S)
A building committee was appointed in February 1920 and in the following September £550 was granted by the United Services Fund.The site was purchased at a cost of £100 and building work commenced. The Bournemouth branch of N.A.D.S & S made a gift of £110.
The total cost of the Freehold, the erection of a hut and the purchase of furniture, fixtures and fittings and expenses amounted to a total of £613.10s0d
The first General Meeting of the Club was held on the 16th January 1922. The meeting was chaired by Mr Loveless supported by the Legion Secretary Mr Turner. The Building Secretary was Mr Piper. Mr Hudspeth attended as a delegate from the United Services Fund. It was agreed at the meeting that all members would take out a one shilling share, sparing the Clubs capital. All donors who gave one pound or more were asked to become patrons of the Club. The First officers and Committee were elected. The annual subscription was set at seven shillings per annum, of which two shillings and sixpence would be due to the Royal British Legion. It was decided that The Club would be known as the POKESDOWN AND SOUTHBOURNE EX-SERVICEMENS' CLUB under the auspices of the Royal British Legion and the Industrial and Provident Society was to be informed of the change of name from the Pokesdown and Southbourne N.A.D.S & S Club.
The official opening of the Club by the borough Member of Parliament Lieutenant Colonel Page-Croft was held on Saturday 30th September 1922, which coincided with the opening of the Bournemouth Town Hall and Tower Mansions in Boscombe by HRH the Prince Of Wales.
By contrast our building started out as an old Army Hut, erected almost entirely by the members themselves, during their spare timed after working hours.
Unlocking the main door , Lieutenant Colonel Page-Croft remarked that he hoped it would "always be opened the fighting men of this country, who saved civilisation from disaster".
Mr Burry, the Clubs first President said that he hoped the Club would become a social centre for the Ex Servicemen, their famalies and friends where would be fostered that spirit of esprit -de-corps, self sacrifice, mutual help and pulling together, which enabled us to win the war. The architect remarked that the building was a really fine achievement and he urged that the Club should be more than just a "common -four - ale- bar" and rather a centre of Comradeship for the district.